Oct 11, 2009

Banana Strawberry Split Cupcakes

Last year a very good friend of mine entered a Vegan Bake-off and really enjoyed the experience and so, because I love baking I thought I would give it a try this year.  I will be the first to admit, I am not vegan and vegan/gluten-free baking is not easy for me but I am always up for the challenge.

I decided to make Banana Strawberry Split Cupcakes - cupcakes that would taste and look somewhat like a banana split sundae.

I baked a few test runs first and had my friends taste-test them for me, of course my friends are fabulous and loved everything I baked so it was tough for me to judge.  The first batch was made with all-purpose flour (which I hate to admit were probably  the best batch but no the ones I used).  Then I tried a gluten-free flour combo of rice flour and soya flour.


A couple examples of the first few batches.

I wasn't 100% confident with the final flavour results mainly because I found them to be a little too dense for my liking and not sweet enough.  However, I worked extra hard on the presentation - wanted them to elegantly resemble a banana split sundae.


A couple examples of the banana strawberry split presentation.

The final results were made with gluten-free flour, carob chips, walnuts, fresh strawberry chunks and banana flavour topped with vegan vanilla icing, melted carob chocolate, a walnut and a cherry.



Totally Fabulous Vegan Bake-off Final: Banana Strawberry Split


1 comment:

  1. Yummy yum yum, I can't wait to taste all your cupcakes but the cookies & cream first; please & thank you.

    Cheerio,

    C

    ReplyDelete