Nov 20, 2009

Spicy Chocolate Apple-Tree














Growing up on a farm for 10 years and being exposed to fresh fruit and vegetables almost ever summer day was a wonderful experience that I wish now I had taken more advantage of.  In tribute to my childhood memories - picking fresh apples from our apple trees - I created a Spicy Apple Tree Cupcake for my  IronCupcake:Earth entry.

The recipe was adapted from a recipe I found on TastofHome.com called Makeover Spiced-Cocoa Apple Cake and I hand-made the added candy/chocolate apple tree.

I am competing to win the following prizes from our generous IronCupcake:Earth Prize Providers:

The Demy™ by Key Ingredient
Hello, Cupcake by Karen Tack & Alan Richardson
Bella Cupcake Couture
Cupcake Stackers by Gourmac
The Cake Mix Doctor Returns! by Anne Byrne
Beautiful Baking Liners by Vestli House
Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Bakery & Cupcakey Supply



Spicy Chocolate Apple Cupcakes

Ingredients

- 1/3 cup butter, softened (approximately - I used slightly less)
- cups sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg whites
- 1/4 cup "buttermilk" = 1 tbsp apple cidar vinegar and remainder filled with rice milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup of finely chopped and peeled apples
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the "buttermilk", applesauce and vanilla.

Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and allspice; stir into butter mixture just until blended. Stir in the apples and chocolate chips.

Transfer an even amount to each paper liner in a cupcake pan. Bake for about 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 12 cupcakes.
_____________________________________________

Please visit this website to vote for my cupcake entry: NO ONE PUTS CUPCAKE IN A CORNER

Voting will be open from November 27th 8pm to December 3rd at 12pm.

11 comments:

  1. These look soo good! I might have to try them. I love the tree, too :)

    Do you think I can use real buttermilk, or would I need to find rice milk to make these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely use real buttermilk, I just don't drink milk myself or eat a lot of dairy so I always use rice or soy milk as a sub :)

    Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic entry! I love your candy apple tree it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo very cool! I can't believe it's staying standing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!


    Yeah, I was surprised too that the tree held up, for a whole two days too lol ... must be the sugar in the cake and candy, it's great for binding any baked goods ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is amazing. It's a perfect apple tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing Sarah :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. These yeah...u had me the first time at these at iron cuppy cake Sarah....they are too cute...u should be cuppy caking in a big way honestly....

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is awesome... how did u make the tree on top of the cupcake??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks!

    The tree on top is made using licorice as the base of the tree, covered in brown chocolate. Then I melted green chococlate in a piping bag and using wax paper swirled it around to the make the design, while attaching it to the "trunk" part of the tree. While the chocolate was still soft I dropped a few red candies for "apples."

    Add everything to the freezer or refridgerator to harden.

    SL

    ReplyDelete