Dec 25, 2009

I only Like Christmas because it's a Good Excuse to Bake

It's true, I'm not gonna lie - I really only like Christmas because it's a great excuse to bake lots of yummy treats.  Okay, maybe there is more to Christmas then just that but for me I truly enjoy baking for my friends and family and especially spending time with them this time of year and I'm okay with just that.

This year the cupcakes just kept coming and coming ...

Gingerbread Chocolate Cupcakes

I made a few of these for some friends decorated with vanilla buttercream icing and multicolored sprinkles and a red jube jube on top.  I think gingerbread flavoured cupcakes are my new favourite gingerbread anything.

I also made a mini version of the Gingerbread Chocolate "Ornament" Cupcakes with a Martha Stewart inspired display of them on cedar branch.  I did have help decorating these cuties from my happy helper Simon.



Cranberry Lemon Christmas Lights Cupcakes



Lemon is probably one of my favourite flavours to bake it can almost never go wrong and it's always a hit with everyone.  The added  cranberry was a nice seasonal touch and goes perfectly with lemon.

Chocolate Peppermint Patty Christmas Wreaths
 

I made a pair of these Chocolate Peppermint Patty cupcakes for each of my close friends and their partners.  They were probably one of the easiest cupcakes I ever decorated but that appeared complicated - they came out beautiful and everyone was happy.  I was happy :)

Chocolate Cinnamon Holly Day Cupcakes

 

I think these have been by far one of the moistest, chocolatiest and yummiest cupcakes I have made this year!  The chocolate buttercream icing was just perfect on top and as an added touch I topped it off with a chocolate holly leaf, red jube jube candies and gold hard candies. Though I got this Chocolate Cinnamon recipe from Julie Hasson's book, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes I just have to share it - it's definitely worth a try!

Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes
Recipe by Julie Hasson



Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature (I used Second Cup coffee)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I actually substituted this for unsalted butter, which worked very well)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, coffee, oil, vanilla and almond extract.  Add flour mixture, beating until smooth.  Mix in balsamic vinegar. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pan.  Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.  Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.  Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.



Winter Wonderland Butterscotch Coconut Cupcakes



I wanted to create a winter scene out of cupcakes this year.  The little house with an ice pond seemed appropriate because I have started ice skating again this year after 15 years and this cute winter wonderland somehow reminds me of my childhood growing up on the farm.

The scene is made up of 30 mini Chocolate butterscotch coconut cupcakes with butterscotch buttercream icing, graham cracker and icing house with nerd candy lights, pretzel fences, cherry candy cane sticks, and large gum drop evergreen trees.  The ice pond is made of rolled fondant and sprinkled white sugar.


Happy Holidays Everyone!
& Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. Ola Sarah,u dont know how happy i am to find u at last ,thanx to cuppy cakes-yeah for quite some time ,i was looking and googling for sarah lyn(ur on my 4lowers remember) to hop by again and for the world of me couldn place the name of ur blog and now here u are with rocking gorgeous cuppycakes every month! And what beautiful pics too!!!
    Oh every cupcake here is better than the rest and i wont enjoy to single out one but mus try those wreathy cuppys but cant figure how u got e bows there...some candy?
    Happy hols and brite rocking new year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ola Sarah,u dont know how happy i am to find u at last ,thanx to cuppy cakes-yeah for quite some time ,i was looking and googling for sarah lyn(ur on my 4lowers remember) to hop by again and for the world of me couldn place the name of ur blog and now here u are with rocking gorgeous cuppycakes every month! And what beautiful pics too!!!
    Oh every cupcake here is better than the rest and i wont enjoy to single out one but mus try those wreathy cuppys but cant figure how u got e bows there...some candy?
    Happy hols and brite rocking new year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the many compliments, you are very sweet :)

    I appreciate it and I am glad you found me too! I'll have to make the search easier for the future lol

    Have a great holiday and a happy new year!!

    New cupcakes will be posted this Friday :)

    ReplyDelete