Dec 11, 2009

"Put the Lime in the Coconut and ..." eat da cupcake up!


I am really lovin' the cupcake challenges every month because they are my excuse to get creative and to bake when I would eitherwise have no reason to bake at all ... well, actually, I can never think of a reason when not to bake.

December's Cupcake Hero Challenge is Coconut!
Another fantastic flavour to bake and experiment with (also my mother's most favourite flavour).

As soon as I started thinking about how I would use coconut in my recipe and all the possible flavour combos I was reminded of the Harry Nilsson song, Coconut.  I remember singing it a a kid, not really understanding all the words or their true meaning but loving the fun, repeatative lyrics nonetheless.

These cupcakes were inspired by that song and I call them ...


















"Put the Lime in the Coconut" Cupcakes
(aka Key Lime Coconut Cupcakes)

Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs separated, the whites beaten until stiff
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut

Directions
1. Prheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl. mix together flour, salt and baking powder.  Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg yolks and extract, use a hand mixer to mix until well combined and creamy.
4. Add flour mixture to wet mixture about a third at a time, alternating with lime juice.  Mix well!
5. Line a cupcake platter with liners (I used dark brown here) then fill each cupcake liner with batter just over half full.
6. Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Remove from tin and allow to cool down before icing.















Just for fun ...
Here are some of the lyrics to Coconut - the song that inpsired my creation:

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime
His sister had another one, she paid it for a lime.
She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up (3x)
She put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor woke him up,
And said, "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?
I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?
I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"



2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah-Lyn...
    Coconut and Lime are my favorite flavour combos too!
    So tell me... what's in the icing, did you dip the cupcakes in chocolate?
    I noticed that some are rimmed with something like chocolate...hmmm?
    What is that you have garnished on top of the cupcake that looks like an olive (which I'm sure it's not :P)

    Can't wait to try your cupcakes one day again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chiho! Thanks for the comments :)

    I made coconut buttercream icing for the top and used fondant for the smooth white part. The chocolate part is actually a chocolate caramel candy that I molded into shape!

    I love using candies in my baking.

    ReplyDelete