Dec 4, 2009

Vegan Lemon Baby Cupcakes
















Let me just state for the record that I am not a vegan.  I don't have anything against being vegan and in fact I wish I could be better at adapting my diet to become vegan but sadly, I just love eggs and chicken way too much to quite them just yet.  Besides that, I still have trouble baking vegan treats.

When a friend asked me to bake 24 mini vegan cupcakes for a Baby Shower, I'll admit, I kind of cringed at the thought of vegan baking again but I had done it before and knew I could do it again and always love a challenge.  The real challenge was modifying a Lemon Buttermilk cupcake recipe to be vegan especially when the title itself screams dairy!

So here goes ....

Vegan Lemon "Buttermilk" Cupcakes
(Revised recipe from Julie Hasson's book 125 Best Cupcake Recipes)

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of Salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup margarine at room temperature
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/3 cup "Buttermilk" = 1 tsp apple cider vinegar + remainder of Soy Milk

Directions
1. Prepare a mini cupcake pan by greasing each cup and top with margarine, dust very lightly with flour. Set aside and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3. In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together sugar and margarine until well combined.  Add applesauce, mix well.  Add lemon zest and lemon extract, beating well.  Alternately beat in flour mixture and "buttermilk", making three additions of flour mixture and two additions of "buttermilk" beating until smooth.

3. Scoop about 1 tbsp of batter into a prepared mini-cupcake pan so that each is filled just more then halfway.  Bake for 22-24 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.

4. Let cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and let cool completely before frosting.

Butter cream frosting flavours: Cran-raspberry (pink), Lemon (yellow), Vanilla (blue), and Almond (green)

They turned out fantastic! I was mainly worried about them losing their moisture but the margarine helped with that, was a good replacement for butter although, ideally I'd like to find a healthier alternative for the future.



All-in-all vegan baking was not that bad and I would definitely try it again.

p.s. I love your book Julie Hasson!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah-Lyn,
    Greetings from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
    I love your blog! I bake CupCakes too.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John!

    Very nice of you to say :)
    Cheers!

    SL

    ReplyDelete