Made these lovely chocolate-chai flavoured cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream icing for a women's creative group I recently joined. I adapted the recipe from the one I found in Martha Stewarts Cupcakes book. I used chocolate chai tea that I had in the cupboard instead of regular chai tea and I added chocolate chips to each cupcake before baking. They got rave reviews from the group!
Chocolate Chai Cupcakes - adapted from Martha Stewart Cupcakes, p. 80
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp of ground cinnamon (depending on how spicy you like it)
1. In a stand mixer on med-high speed cream butter until creamy.
2. Reduce speed and add icing (confectioner's) sugar to the butter. Blend well until creamy
3. Add vanilla extract and continue mixing on med-high and add the cinnamon.
4. Continue mixing on medium-high until you reach the consistancy you want