Mar 16, 2010
Iron Cupcake Toronto: Green + Beer = Good Times
"Green Living" cupcakes are a golden idea!
This past weekend I participated in Iron Cupcake Toronto's first cupcake competition. The theme: Green and the secret ingredient: Beer. So of course I had to take the two and come up with my own sort of "healthy" interpretation = Green Living.
I knew most people would instantly think of St. Patty's Day and green cupcakes but I wanted to explore a different "green" route, one that is important to me and to also keep my cupcakes gluten-free.
I created a stage for my green living scene and using one regular sized cupcake and a few mini cupcakes I created a patio table, chairs and flower pots.
For the centerpiece cupcake I made a green rose bouquet out of green apple peel and dark chocolate (to hold them in place).
To keep with my gluten-free baking/eating them I went with a cidar beer - Magners Irish Cidar - to keep with the cidar's apple flavour I used applesauce in my baking.
Irish Cidar Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream
Makes 24 regular size
- 12 oz Magners Irish Cidar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 cups loosely packed brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven at 350F.
2. Mix all wet ingredients together in a large bowl, except for eggs.
3. Add one egg at a time, mixing well with each addition, set aside.
4. Mix all dry ingredients (I actually do this first) in a medium bowl.
5. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture mixing well but do not over mix.
6. Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan, about 3/4 of the way full.
7. For mini cupcakes, bake for 10-12 minutes. For regular size cupcakes bake for about 22-24 minutes.
8. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
I had a fantastic time at the event and met some great people - like my fellow Supernatural fan Matt :) There were 16 participants and every entry was completely different, unique and amazing! It was so fun to see everyone's interpretations and creative ideas come to life, not to mention the yummy cupcakes.
Congratulations to the winner, "Erin Go Bragh" #15!