Mar 16, 2010

Iron Cupcake Toronto: Green + Beer = Good Times


"Green Living" cupcakes are a golden idea!

This past weekend I participated in Iron Cupcake Toronto's first cupcake competition.  The theme: Green and the secret ingredient: Beer.  So of course I had to take the two and come up with my own sort of "healthy" interpretation = Green Living.

I knew most people would instantly think of St. Patty's Day and green cupcakes but I wanted to explore a different "green" route, one that is important to me and to also keep my cupcakes gluten-free.

The Design
I created a stage for my green living scene and using one regular sized cupcake and a few mini cupcakes I created a patio table, chairs and flower pots.

For the centerpiece cupcake I made a green rose bouquet out of green apple peel and dark chocolate (to hold them in place).



The Cupcake
To keep with my gluten-free baking/eating them I went with a cidar beer - Magners Irish Cidar - to keep with the cidar's apple flavour I used applesauce in my baking.

Irish Cidar Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream


Ingredients
Makes 24 regular size

- 12 oz Magners Irish Cidar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 cups loosely packed brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking soda

Directions

1. Preheat oven at 350F.
2. Mix all wet ingredients together in a large bowl, except for eggs.
3. Add one egg at a time, mixing well with each addition, set aside.
4.  Mix all dry ingredients (I actually do this first) in a medium bowl.
5. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture mixing well but do not over mix.
6. Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan, about 3/4 of the way full.
7. For mini cupcakes, bake for 10-12 minutes.  For regular size cupcakes bake for about 22-24 minutes.
8. Allow to cool completely before decorating.



The Event
I had a fantastic time at the event and met some great people - like my fellow Supernatural fan Matt :)  There were 16 participants and every entry was completely different, unique and amazing! It was so fun to see everyone's interpretations and creative ideas come to life, not to mention the yummy cupcakes.

Congratulations to the winner, "Erin Go Bragh" #15!


One of my favourite entries was #16 who won people's choice award, her display was so cute and creative, it was the "morning after" St Patty's day cupcake.

Everyone did a fantastic job and For the Love of Cake did an amazing job putting the event together and keeping it organized.  Overall I think it was a very successful first Iron Cupcake Toronto challenge!









April's challenge (which I unfortunately cannot participate in) will be held Sunday, April 11th and the secret ingredient: Coffee!

Great job to all competitors!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great event! Your cupcake display looks great and very creative. I bet they tasted amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations fellow competitor! I think your display was very unique, and I wish I could have tried your mini. I love how you documented the event, and thank you for taking pictures of everyone's display. I didn't manage to get shots of all displays. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both comments! :)

    Love your blog Village Mama, I'm not a follower!

    I loved your set up too - you were the pub fare? Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun event! They look beautiful.
    (I am a big fan of Supernatural too) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that we are now following one another!

    ReplyDelete