Mar 26, 2010

My Taste Tester's Birthday Cupcakes: 'Cause He's Earned Them!


As many of closest friends and family know I eat a pretty strict diet and am often training for something, whether it be a tournment, a race or a boxing match, I am always doing my best to eat as healthy as possible, which means I don't often eat what I bake.  In fact I rarely eat what I bake and many people have wondered how I can do that?

I have a friend and co-worker who is a brutally honest man (in a good way) and has a big sweet tooth, so I bake something, he tries it and then tells me what he thinks of it.  Granted, it's not the most objective opinion but I've been baking long enough now to know when something will be good or not.  He simply gives me his perspective on it.

So for his birthday I decided to bake him one of his favourties: Chocolate Brownie Peppermint cupcakes with peppermint buttercream icing and chocolate cookie crumbs.



Chocolate Brownie Peppermint Cupcakes
(original recipe from Martha Stewart Cupcakes)

Ingredients
- 8 oz dark semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ¼ unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 12 peppermint patties, plus more for decoration

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners
3. Place chocolate and margarine in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water.
4. Stir occasionally just until melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Remove bowl from heat. Whisk in sugar and salt until mixture is smooth; whisk in eggs to combine. Gently whisk in flour and cocoa just until smooth.
6. Spoon 1 heaping tbsp of batter into each lined cup.
7. Place 1 peppermint patty on top, gently pressing into batter. Top with 2 tbsp batter, cover patty completely.
8. Bake, rotating tin halfway through, for about 30-33 minutes, no longer.
9. Transfer tin to a wire rack to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
10. Cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature in airtight containers.


Happy Birthday Kelsie!

5 comments:

  1. This site has been a joy as I have a sweet tooth to the max! I've cut back though, so I have imaginary indulgences from start to finish so your site helps! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow these look so good, chocolate and peppermint is always so good together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! These look to die for! I'll be trying these for myself!..and maybe i'll share with a friend..lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are yummy Krista!! But they are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven! Otherwise the peppermint gets chewing instead of goouy :P

    ReplyDelete