The Dark Cupcakes: Dark chococlate mm cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing dyed black.
The Light Cupcakes: Vanilla mini cupcakes with white chocolate and butterscotch chips and vanilla buttercream icing. I used coloured buttercream to write out the words. The idea was have a very light/dark contract so that it would look like the Vegas sign at night.
Dark Chocolate MM's Cupcakes
(original recipe from Julie Hasson's Book, 125 Best Cupcake Recipes)
Makes 30-40 cupcakes
- 2.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups “buttermilk” (I used soy milk with 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed in)
- 1 cup dark chocolate mm’s
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and “buttermilk”, making three additions of flour mixture and two of “buttermilk”, beating until batter is smooth
4. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Add about 1 tbsp of mm’s to each cup and gently press them into batter, so they just sit on top but won’t sink down.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 22-25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
6. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
Often when you bake from scratch there are extras left over even when the recipe only calls for 12 or 24 cupcakes you can usually get about 3 or 4 more cupcakes out of the batch. I doubled this recipe when I made it and because of that I had quite a few extras that I gave away to friends.
So the question is, how did I decorate the extras?
Dark Chocolate buttercream swirl with a
piped pink flower and mm center
(I love this one cause you can see the blue mm cooked into the chocolate cupcake!)
Pink Coloured buttercream with a blue flower and orange mm center.
Pink coloured buttercream piped flower with yellow mm center - you can really see the cooked in mm's on this beauty!
Trio of Yumminess