Mar 19, 2010

St Patty's Day: I'm not Irish but I'll Bake for it Anyway

So, I don't drink beer therefore I do not celebrate St. Patty's Day.  However, because my office planned a  St. Patty's Day lunch and drinks event I had just had to bake Guinness cupcakes for them.

I personally didn't like them, again don't like beer and especially don't like Guinness but they did get rave reviews from my coworkers.

The used this recipe I found on Chow.com and for the glaze I followed a Martha Stewart Recipe.

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness stout
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
 
Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.

Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins.

Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins.
 
Guinness Glaze
1/4 cup Guinness beer
2 cups confectioner's sugar
 
Blend both ingredients together very well, it will feel a bit stiff at first and then get runny.  Use immediately.
 

Please visit my blog: Besides Cupcakes for a

1 comment:

  1. *drools*

    beer. Cupcake. independently both awesome - but combining the two together... just incredible

    ReplyDelete