Apr 9, 2010

Coffee Break ... mmmm, Starbucks I ♥ You!


This coming weekend (April 11th from 1-3pm to be exact) is Toronto's 2nd Iron Cupcake Challenge Event for 2010 and although I was not able to participate in this one I decided to go ahead and make my own coffee inspired cupcake, which was also inspired by my new favourite starbucks drink: Dark Cherry Mocha (p.s. See link - I drink it this way but with Soy milk).

Starbuck's Dark Cherry Mocha & Cinnamon Dolce Latte

Just for fun I might also make a Cinnamon Dolce latte inspired cupcake this weekend ... gee, my friends are so lucky!

Dark Cherry Mocha Cupcakes
(Original recipe was taken from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book, Mocha Cupcakes)

Makes 24 cupcakes

- 2 ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ½ cup low-sodium margarine
- 1.5 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cherry oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup fat-free soy milk
- ¾ cup freshly brewed espresso
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1.5 cups buttercream icing (can add ¼ tsp of cherry oil)

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a standard muffin tins with paper liners
3. Whisk together flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
4. With an electric hand mixer, on medium-high, cream margarine until smooth and light. Add the brown sugar and eggs; beat until fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add the vanilla, cherry oil, baking soda and salt; beat to combine thoroughly.
5. Reduce speed and add flour alternating with milk, making 2-3 additions each time until all is well mixed together.
6. Mix together brewed espresso and espresso powder; add to batter and beat until smooth.
7. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each 3/4 full.
8. I added a mocacchino cherry to half the batch.
9. Bake for about 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10. Let cool about 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely before icing.



Happy Friday!

Please visit my other blog: Besides Cupcakes for some yummy, healthy Vegan and raw recipes I made this week!

6 comments:

  1. yummmmmmm looks divine - can I have one please??

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol thanks LC! I actually had one for breakfast, yum! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! A little cupcake latte! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah-lyn it was yummy - thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm the cinnamon dolce latte looks delicious as well :).
    great idea for this cupcake, i made a starbucks caramel coffee cakeaccino once, its so much fun making cakes out of starbucks drinks isnt it hehe :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely Natalie! lol

    I unfortunately didn't get around to making the cinnamon ones but made something else much more clever, I think :)

    ReplyDelete