Made a fantastic Raw Pad Thai dinner for myself and a friend this past weekend and for the next day I wasn't sure what to do with the left cover chopped up carrots and zucchini. So I thought, hmm, make a cupcake out of it?
Here's the recipe:
Tofu and Quinoa Cupcake Lunch
A Sarah-Lyn original recipe
For the Cupcake:
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 brick of firm tofu, chopped into mini cubes
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/3 cup of gluten-free flour
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb mix
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Topping:
- I added carrots, cut into match sticks and chopped green onion for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl mix the zucchini, tofu, carrots, quinoa, tofu and flour together gently.
3. Add the egg white mixing everything together very well. Add the spices.
4. Line a regular size muffin tin - it is very important that it is lined with cupcake liners or else it will stick to the pan!
5. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out some mixture and fill each cupcake liner. They can be full because these cupcakes won't rise!
6. Bake at 350F for about 25-28 minutes or just until the tops are browned.
7. Remove from oven, cool for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool another 20minutes before adding the topping.
8. Serve immediately.
9. If not eating them right away, allow to cool completely, add topping and then refrigerate for about 3-4 days.
These beauties are high in protein, low in fat (no oil or sugar added) but still flavourful! The added fat is the topping, if you take that out they are fat/sugar/gluten free!
Alternative topping idea, if you eat dairy: whipped cream cheese would be fantastic on these!
Turn it Into a Cupcake!