Apr 23, 2010

In the Red Corner ...

As many of my close friends and family know I have many passions in life other then baking/cooking.  I love boxing! I train and fight as an amateur boxer, have been for a few years now but only started fighting in 2009.  So far, I am 2:0 and getting ready to compete in my third fight this coming weekend.

So, with that said, that usually means I can't be baking during this time (at least not for myself) and I have to train full-time and watch what I eat even more carefully to get my weight down safely for the fight.

Fortunately, about a month ago, I made these beauties, which were inspired by my passion for boxing ...

Raspberry "Red Corner" cupcakes

Blueberry "Blue Corner" cupcakes

I also baked them keeping in mind my diet restrictions and tried to come up with healthier, low-fat, low-sugar, gluten-free and almost all natural recipe for both cupcakes.

Red vs. Blue Corner
(Raspberry or blueberry cupcakes)
A Sarah-Lyn original recipe

Note: I foolishly realized that I didn't write this recipe down, or at least if I did I couldn't find it so this is based on memory ... hope it works out again! lol

3 cups gluten-free flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
2/3 cup canola based margarine
1 cup agave nectar
4 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup fat-free soy milk, divided in half
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
Red and Blue food coloring

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 2 regular size muffin tins, one with red liners and one with blue liners.
2. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Separate the mixture evenly into two smaller bowls.
3. In a large bowl beat together the canola oil, agave nectar, egg whites and vanilla until well mixed and fluffy.
4. Evenly separate the liquid mixture into two smaller bowls.
5. Working with one batter at a time, mix one of the flour bowls with one of the liquid mixtures alternating with half the soy milk.
6. Mix well and add a few drops of red food coloring. The goal is to get a red or a dark pink colored batter.
7. Fold in the raspberries. Scoop the batter evenly among the lined muffin tin.
8. Repeat steps 5 to 7 but this time using the blue food coloring and folding in the blueberries.
9. Bake cupcakes for about 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
10. Topped each cupcake with it’s associated fruit and drizzle a little agave nectar or honey.


with Raspberry
with Blueberry

Let's hope this weekend fight is as "knock-out" as this recipe ... or you know, that I'm doing the knocking-out! ;)


This is me from my last fight back in October 2009 - I'm the red corner. My opponent was tough, put up a great fight ... how this happend, it's still all a blur to me lol


2 comments:

  1. The cupcakes look great! Good-luck with the fight this weekend!! Looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww what a good idea for cupcakes! Hope your fight went well!

    ReplyDelete