Apr 16, 2010

My Toronto-living, California-visiting, Vegan-eating, Marathon-running Best Friend's Birthday Cupcakes


My best friend flew back from California to Toronto this week, just in time for her birthday and in time for me to make her vegan/gluten-free Zucchini and Carrot Spice cupcakes, inspired from one of Martha Stewarts Cupcakes recipes.


 Zucchini and Carrot Spice Cupcake
with Almond Butter Icing
(Original recipe from Martha Stewarts Cupcakes)

Ingredients
1.5 cups gluten free flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ cup canola oil
1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water (blended)
½ tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
¾ cup agave nectar
1 cup packed grated zucchini (about 1 medium)
1 cup packed grated carrot (about 1 medium to large)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. In another bowl, whisk together oil, flax/water combo, vanilla and zest until well blended; whisk in agave until smooth.
4. Stir in zucchini, then add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.
6. Bake, rotating once halfway through, until cake tester inserted in centers come out clean, about 20-22 minutes.
7. Transfer tins to wire rack to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
8. To finish: Topped off each cupcake with a swirl of almond butter and cut-out carrot and zucchini pieces that I created with cookie cutters.




________________________

♥ In loving memory of my 8-year-old cat Abbey ♥
Scarlet and I will surely miss you!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I have a jar of almond butter lying around in my fridge, and using it as an icing sounds like a perfect use for it! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you are amazing! These cupcakes were delicious. Everyone enjoyed them so much - including me - I ate four! Almond butter is the perfect topping. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those cupcakes are beautiful - as is the cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful and sorry for your loss - we lost our Dusty Feb. 6th and she was 15 years old. She will always hold a very special place in our hearts. Linda&Jim

    ReplyDelete