May 25, 2010
Banana Takes a Walk on the Dark Side
I took an already fantastic banana liqueur cupcake recipe and made it even better by adding chocolate! Everything is better with chocolate, am I right?
Dark Chocolate Banana Liqueur Cupcakes
1 cup gluten-free flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
Pinch sea salt
1 cup granulated sugar
½ unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup fat free soy milk
1/3 cup crème de banane
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and eggs until smooth.
4. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and milk and crème de banane, making about three additions of flour mixture and one each of the milk and alcohol, beating until smooth.
5. Mix in chocolate chips.
6. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 20-24 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
7. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes then remove from pan and let cool completely on a rack.
8. Frost each cupcake with Banana butter cream icing.
Banana Butter cream
3 cups icing sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 tsp banana extract
1. Using an electric mixer whisk the butter until smooth.
2. Gradually add the icing sugar, about one cup at a medium and mix at about medium speed gradually increasing speed. Add salt.
3. Continue mixing at medium-high speed and add extract.
4. Mix to desired consistency or until creamy and smooth