May 18, 2010

Gone Fishin' Cupcakes for my Dad


This weekend I went home to celebrate my Dad's Birthday/Mother's day with family.  For a long time I have been wanting to make my dad a fishing cupcake cake but couldn't figure out just how I wanted to present them.  There are so many ideas out there but I finally decided to keep it simple, focusing on flavour more then anything.

These cupcakes were absolutely delicious!  I made Applesauce-spice cupcakes (from Martha Stewart Cupcakes book) with cream cheese icing which was a wonderful flavour combination.


For the decoration: I used a large open star tip for the water, Swedish fish candies, green sprinkles for the grass, a red fruit chew and white fondant for the cooler, and a vanilla pretzel stick and white fondant for the fishing rod.

I omitted the pecans in my recipe, used gluten-free flour and reduced the amount of sugar by half and replaced the butter with canola oil.

I also used this cream cheese icing for the cupcakes.

Happy 63rd Birthday Dad!

4 comments:

  1. SO clever! I posted a link on my column over at Craft Gossip... (the edible crafts one, of course) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the little cooler! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are such good cupcakes, im sure your dad loved them!!

    ReplyDelete