Jul 16, 2010
Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes Save the Day!
Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Receipe from Martha Stewart Cupcakes
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup warm water
Caramel sauce (homemade is best but I didn't have a chance to make it myself so I used the store bought kind which can be found usually in the ice cream cone section)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
3. Mix together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. With mixer on low speed, mix eggs, buttermilk, oil, extract, and the water ; beat until smooth and combined.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together just well enough.
6. Spoon the batter into liners about two-thirds full.
7. Bake for about 22-24 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
8. Transfer tins to wire racks and allow to cool for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 1 month in air tight containers.
1. Using a either a paring knife or a teaspoon (I used a teaspoon as a scooper) cut a cone-shaped piece (about 1/2 inch deep) from the center of each cupcake and discard the pieces (or eat them!)
2. Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons caramel Filling into each hollowed-out cupcake.
3. Sprinkle a pinch or two of fleur de sel over each filling.
4. Using a pastry bag with a large open-star tip pipe the light chocolate buttercream (used about 1.5 cups of buttercream and added about 4-5 tbsp of cocoa powder to get the chocolate flavour) onto each cupcake.
5. Garnish each cupcake with a pinch or two with fleur de sel of sea salt.
These cupcakes are best eaten the day of and at room temperature - and I know my friends can vouche for that lol!