Aug 20, 2010
Red Velvet Cupcakes Take Over My Kitchen
Made some vegan red velvet cupcakes for my dragon boat team one night, unfortunately it was topped with non-vegan buttcream and caramel drizzle but still tasted amazing!
Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
Adapted recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix
1 cup organic granulated sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1-2 tbsp red food coloring, or 10-12 drops of a concentrated food coloring like AmeriColor
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line 1-2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.
3. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
4. Add the oil, food coloring, vanilla extract and coconut extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine.
5. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing well.
6. Fill each cupcake about 3/4 of the way full.
7. Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
Topping: Vanilla buttercream icing (nope, it wasn't vegan, just had to use up what I had around the house) and caramel drizzled on top.
Where is the World is Sarah-Lyn?...
Right about now I am probably about to board my flight to Mozambique where I will be working as a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, building houses alongside people who need a decent, affordable place to live.
As many of my good friends and family know I will be away from August 20th to September 2nd volunteering in Africa and sooooooooooo excited to have this experience again. This will be my second Habitat trip. In 2008 I traveled to Honduras to build with a team and it was just amazing. I highly recommend an experience like this for anyone who can do it, do it!
If you would like to learn more please visit:
or http://www.habitat.ca/ (Canada)
If you would like to help, please visit my donation page if you would like to help!
p.s. Blog updates will continue every Friday ... stay tuned!