Sep 10, 2010
Key Lime & Coconut: Last Summer Hurrah!
Key Lime Vegan Cupcakes
Just before I left for my trip to Mozambique I made these cupcakes for a company BBQ. Got the amazing recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World, which is now my new cupcake bible - sorry Martha!
1/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
1 cup coconut milk (or 1 cup of soy milk with 1 tsp of coconut extract)
1/4 soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tbsp lightly packed ground lime zest
1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (more for topping)
lime slices for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with liners
2. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over very low heat. Once melted, turn the heat off bu leave it in the pan on the stove so that it stays warm and does not solidify.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil and sugar. Add the coconut milk, soy milk, vanilla extract, coconut extract, and lime zest. Mix to combine.
4. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add the coconut and mix to incorporate.
5. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Cool completely before decorating with vegan icing, coconut flakes and a slice of lime.