Vegan vanilla cupcakes and vanilla icing with sugar flowers I made with my new baking toys that I got for my birthday. Yes, I am in baking/cake decorating heaven now ... but taking baby steps.
Speaking of baby, made these vanilla cupcakes for a baby shower so I decided to keep it simple, pretty and sweet with some yellow mini blossoms.
And for a superstar birthday girl, vanilla star studded cupcakes with just a touch of sparkle.
Gluten-free, vegan chocolate strawberry cupcakes and possible the most divine flavour combination and best recipe ever. This combination was to die for and made gluten-free, even better!
White strawberry blossoms, made out of fondant and silver candy, on top of the strawberry flavoured vegan icing made with freshly pureed strawberry.
Chocolate vegan cupcakes
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup gluten-free flour mix
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp chocolate extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a regular size muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In a measuring cup, measure out the soy milk and add the apple cider vinegar to it. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, just until combined.
4. In another large bowl mix the oil and sugar together until fluffy. Add the vanilla and chocolate extract.
5. Add the milk to the sugar/oil mixture. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing well.
6. Fill the each liner about 3/4 full or just over half full.
7. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for at least 20-25 minutes before icing.
Vegan Strawberry 'Butter cream'
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup all-vegetable shortening
3 - 3.5 cups icing sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp strawberry oil
1/4 cup fresh strawberry puree
1. Cream the butter and shortening together until well blended.
2. Add the icing sugar about one cup at a time, mixing it well into the creamed butter and shortening mixture.
3. After adding about 3 cups of icing sugar to the butter use a hand blender to mix everything together very well, until creamy and a bit stiff.
4. Add the vanilla extract, strawberry oil and strawberry puree to the mixture, blending everything together well.
5. Depending on what consistency you want you may need to add more icing sugar here, a few tablespoons at a time until you reach the consistency you want.