Sep 30, 2011

Welcome Autumn, My most Favourite Season

Autumn has always been one of my favourite times of year and for all the right cliche reasons - the changing leaves and colours, the crisp cool air, the excuse to stay indoors with loved ones on cold rainy nights and of course, the food and harvest, which is when I believe cooking and baking truly come alive.

Unfortunately for me, so far this Fall (what are we one week in?), my baking and cooking has failed to come alive.  But it's still very early and with the first weekend of October approaching I anticipate much baking, cooking, crafting and creative juices flowing ahead!

That is the goal at least and in the meantime, I share with you one of my past favourite Fall cupcakes (before my vegan days - see picture left) - Angel Food Autumn Baby cake with a caramel candy fashioned as an acorn on top.

This year I hope to make take some of my favourite Fall inspired cupcake recipes (many of which are not vegan) and make them deliciously vegan and gluten-free.

My first recipe, a mishmash of two different cupcake recipes from two different books brought together, is ...
 
Apple Cinnamon and Spice Cupcakes

1 cup organic soy milk ( I used almond milk but soy works better)
1.5 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup organic flour
2 tbsp of cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp organic baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp organic sea salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp all-spice
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/2 cup organic apple butter

1. In a mixing cup add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk and set aside.

2. Line a muffin tin with cupcake paper liners and set aside.  Preheat the oven to 350F.

3. In a large bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, nutmeg, and allspice until well combined.

4. In another large bowl mix the sugar and oil together until fluffy.  Add the vanilla extract, mixing it in before you add the apple butter.

5.  Add the milk mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing well.
6.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing together until just combined (don't over mix).

7.  Fill each muffin cup to about 3/4 full and bake for about 20-21 minutes.  Let cool at least 20 minutes before icing or eating.


Have an awesome Autumn recipe idea you'd like to share?

I'd love to hear it! Please send me a message here or email me at sarahlyn (dot) amaral (at) gmail (dot) com.





2 comments:

  1. hey!!! soooo...how much apple butter?

    1/2 organic apple butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, haha, thank you for pointing that out to me :)

    It's 1/2 cup organic apple butter!

    Cheers,
    SL

    ReplyDelete